I don’t know about anyone else, but I overwork myself sometimes and push myself to the point of exhaustion. I find that a night to myself, doing a bit of self-care, helps me feel a bit more human. Likewise, when I’m having a crappy day and I don’t have any self-confidence, I do these things to appreciate myself. I hope that if you’re looking at this, some of my ideas might help you get into a better state of mind and make you feel beautiful. I find it really difficult to do nothing, it just doesn't feel right to me, so these are some of the things I do to make myself stop and look after myself.
Pick a night when you can be alone or with someone that makes you feel calm
- Paint your nails and toes, pick a colour that makes you feel happy
- Cleanse and tone your face, then stick a mask on, I love Liz Earle’s Deep Cleansing mask or Soap and Glory's self-heating mask. Nothing like a bit of skincare to make you feel like you have your sh*t together.
- Light a candle (unless you’re in a student house), the light from a candle is soothing as well as the scent
- Draw a bath and make it fancy. Epsom salt baths are great if you’ve been under the weather or use your favourite Lush bubble bar, I Iove the Unicorn Horn.
- Exfoliate your body in the bath (I like Lush’s coffee scrub because I live and breathe coffee)
- Listen to relaxing music, here’s my relaxing playlist -- (Relax)
- Use a hair mask or leave your conditioner in a little bit longer so your hair gets a bit of a treatment
- Get out of the bath after a good soak and dry yourself off, apply your favourite moisturiser to your face and your fav body butter to your body
- Look in the mirror and remind yourself you’re beautiful
- Comb your hair if it needs it and dry it
- Stick on some comfy pyjamas and climb into bed with a blanket
- Put on a feel good film or read a book you want to read (not your reading for a seminar, not something for your course, something you want to enjoy!)
- Meditate or (if you practice Nichiren Buddhism like me) Chant. It makes you feel 1000 times better.
- Spritz your pillow with something to make you sleep better, I use the This Works Sleep Spray and it really works for me.
Look after yourselves!