2017 has been a hard year for me. Amongst the family illness, depression, PTSD and the end of a seven-year-long relationship, I’ve struggled to keep my head above the water and cope with everyday life, as well as my degree.
I was thinking about how to sum up 2017 and I determined I wouldn’t let the bad things define my year. I don’t want to convince myself that this year was all bad because there are highs and lows throughout life, and that is inevitable. I decided to record some of the good things that happened, what I learned and what I’m going to do next. Here are some of the brilliant things that happened this year for me, because I want to turn this sh*tty year into a base that I can rebuild on.
Things I have learned
- There are always more friends. When you lose friends, new ones will come into your life.
- Being single does not mean being alone.
- Turnip does not belong in curry.
- I can live alone, and I quite enjoy living alone.
- How to make a blog!
- The entirety of Gongyo.
- Baked potatoes do taste better in the oven. (I believe you now, Char)
- I realised that I don’t need to have everything planned out.
- You can rock any outfit you want if you have enough confidence.
Things I’m proud of myself for
- I became the Univerity & Career Editor for The Growing Up Guide.
- Whilst I was struggling during my second-year exams, I still managed to gain a stable 2:1.
- Telling my university/doctor about my situation and accepting counselling.
- Walking away from a relationship that had started to harm my mental & physical health.
- Ending friendships that made me feel bad about myself.
- Managing two weeks of a teaching placement, when I was not ok, and still passing it.
The best bits
- Sitting in my back garden by the fire the night before I went to Poland with my closest friends, laughing about something so hard until my stomach hurt.
- The whole of Poland.
- Chilling out in a spa with my best friend.
- Laying on a boat in the middle of the Aegean and soaking up the sun and a cold beer.
- Jumping off a boat into the Aegean.
- Attending a Buddhist course in Frankfurt and making some incredible friends.
- Throwing an awesome Halloween party with my two housemates.
- Having fireworks in my back garden with lovely friends.
- Becoming part of a lovely friendship group.
- Meeting people that helped me regain my confidence.
- Becoming a part of the blogging community.
My goals for 2018
- Stop apologising so much
- Graduate from Uni with a 2:1
- Hit 10k followers on Instagram (I need that swipe up feature!)
- Say ‘no’ more
- Plan and execute mine and WhatSophDidNext‘s exciting event
- Learn how to use photoshop
- De-clutter my life
- Travel to Africa
- Try freelance writing
- Wear what I want and be more confident in myself
- Read more
- Speak about my experience and help other women who are going through the same.
I hope you all have an incredible 2018, and I can’t wait to see all of the amazing things you achieve!